The end of the year is upon us. This is a scary thought, but it also can be quite exhilarating. Think about it, with the beginning of a new year you will have new memories to create, new experiences, maybe new friends or a new job… but ultimately, you will have a full year of the unexpected! I know, the unexpected is terrifying but probably also brings out your curiosity. What is going to happen may be unknown, but you do have a say in how the year will be! Your attitude and outlook on 2016 will have the largest impact on how this year will pan out. Just like with every experience, your attitude will affect the outcome of the experience, or the year. Staying positive and focusing your mind on the important things and your goals will help you achieve what you have planned for yourself.
Now, I am not saying that having a positive mindset and outlook on life will cause you to avoid having anything negative happen in your life, but it will make you year that much more enjoyable and will increase your ability to bounce back from the negative experiences, events, and setbacks! So in order to make sure that you let go of all the negativity from 2015, and start 2016 with a fresh start and open mind, I found “10 Things To Let Go Of Before The End Of The Year” (2014). The author, Shannon Kaiser, is one of my favorite authors on MindBodyGreen, and always has the most appropriate articles for my life!
The 10 things you should let go in the New Year:
- Let go of thinking you aren’t where you’re supposed to be – Everything you’ve done has helped you become who you’re meant to be.
- Release all thought patterns holding you back – It’s time to start telling yourself a more positive story.
- Release the idea that your challenges are long-term – All setbacks are only temporary, but the lessons learned are forever.
- Let go of the need to have it all figured out – What doesn’t make sense yet will someday.
- Let go of the idea that things aren’t working out for you – Everything is really much better than you can imagine.
- Stop asking “WHY” this is happening to you – Instead ask what you can learn from the situation.
- Release the need to control the outcome – You may not get what you want when you want, but trust you will always get what you need when you need it.
- Stop believing you are your mistakes – There are no mistakes, only growth.
- Release the need to be right – Proving others wrong does not make you right. Instead, focus inward and align with love. When you are confident in your own choices, you don’t have to prove anything.
- Let go of thinking it’s too late for you – Your dreams matter and they come to you for a reason. Follow your heart, and you will be free.
Are you finding yourself or know someone who is having a hard time letting go of their past? If you would like some help getting started please visit us at Life Skills Resource Group Orlando or call us at 407.355.7378 to schedule a free phone consultation. Our Orlando Licensed Mental Health Counselors for Individual Counseling in Orlando, our Orlando Life Coach or our Orlando Child Counselors, Orlando Adolescent Therapists, and Orlando Teen Counselors would be more than happy to help you figure out what is holding you back from letting go of your past and starting the year off fresh!