Wish you could find the energy to do the things that used to make you happy? Feeling like life is passing you by while you struggle to keep your head above water? Can’t even remember what it was you really wanted to do with your life in the first place? At Life Skills Resource Group in Orlando we have the therapists and life coaches who can help you find your way back to being your true self. One way we can help you to do this is by helping you eliminate the things in your life that are holding you back and depleting your mental energy.
Identifying and removing obstacles from you life is an essential step in achieving goals. You may be so caught up in the little things that drain your energy that you don’t have the time to do what really matters to you. In her book, Take Time for Your Life, Cherly Richardson estimates that up to 75% of your mental energy is used up by the following types of distractions (this is an abbreviated list)…
• There are people in my life who continuously drain my energy.
• I have unreturned phone calls, e-mails, etc. that need to be handled.
• I have unresolved conflict with a family member.
• I feel a void in my life created by the lack of a romantic relationship.
• My car is in need of cleanup or repair.
• My wardrobe needs updating.
• Repairs around my home or apartment need to be done.
• My home is not decorated in a way that nurtures me.
Body, Mind, Spirit:
• Something about my physical appearance bothers me.
• I do not get the sleep I need to be fully rested.
• There are books I’d like to read, but I never find the time.
• I’d like to exercise regularly, but never seem to find the time.
• I no longer enjoy my job and have a hard time showing up each day.
• My work is stressful and leaves me exhausted at the end of the day.
• I tolerate bad behavior from a boss or coworker.
• My work does not allow me to express my creativity.
• I have tax returns that are not filed and bills that are not paid.
• I pay my bills late.
• I don’t have a plan for my financial future.
• I spend more than I earn.
(“What’s Draining You?” checklist based on Clean Sweep 1994 Coach University)
Richardson asks, “Can you feel the amount of mental energy being used by these items?” Practicing what Richardson calls “extreme self-care” can help you to reclaim and refocus your mental energy so that you can take charge of your life and enjoy it. Today is a good day to get started on channeling your energy into taking care of what really matters to you. Give us a call at 407-355-7378.
Check out Cheryl Richardson’s wonderful book:
Richardson, C. (1999). Take Time for Your Life. New York, NY: Broadway Books.